Monday, September 30, 2013

Buying kids' clothes (by Ashley)

Last week we had our first cold day here in Utah. I decided it was probably time to start making my kids wear shoes (my mom would be the first to tell you I don't put them in shoes often enough).

We have been blessed so far in our marriage to never feel the sting of not being able to afford shoes for our babies. Yet there is something so true about being frugal.

With children's clothes, it's incredibly practical. If you know anything about my children you know they are extremely active and hands-on. A full price pair of pants would just be a liability.

It makes financial sense. The less you spend, the more you can save.

And there is something to be said about the experience you give your children. It has been well documented how enriching it is for a person to grow up poor. But what is a person to do if they don't "have to" grow up poor? I believe, to some degree, the experience can be replicated by being frugal. If I don't place an emphasis on needing the new and latest thing, if I am willing to buy second hand for myself and my family, I believe the message that money is a gift and not a privilege will be communicated to them.

We went to a yard sale a few weeks ago in search of a new wardrobe for our baby brother.


It was bright and early on a Saturday morning, so yes, bacon in hand.



In search of another yard sale, we went a little farther south down the freeway (here is Utah, a great resource for local yard sale postings is ksl.com, where you can find out what kinds of things people will be selling by searching the classified postings the night before). On the way back we stopped to see this HUGE truck (Ben is a big fan). So I would call that a win-win for a Saturday.


At this point in our life, we don't buy everything second hand. I'm not a crazy couponer and we eat plenty of meat. You'll see us shopping at regular stores and driving our two cars. But we do spend time thinking about our purchases, what they mean, and the effect they will have on our children. All hoping to create a meaningful life for our children.

3 comments:

  1. So did Ben get the truck or not? (j/k) P.S. Maybe Cheyenne would like to share some of her breakfast with me. Mmmmm, bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for second hand! ...now pass me some of that bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. I need to do that more often.

    ReplyDelete