Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Sappy Love Story (by Heather)


My husband and I just celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary. The morning of our anniversary, my kids asked me to tell them our "love story." It was really fun to remember how it all began…


Austin and me at Busch Gardens, FL when I met his family for the first time after we got engaged

It was the summer of 2005 in Provo, UT. I was dating a guy at church that I just couldn't shake. I had tried to break up with the guy a dozen times, but he just wouldn't go away!  So I decided that at the next church activity, I would go up to three random guys and ask them out. Surely when I went out with three other guys, that would give him the picture. 

At the next church activity, I quickly picked my victims. Austin was someone I hadn't met. All I knew about him was that he had a sports car, which was definitely a point against him, but my sister Haley knew him and said he was a good guy so I went up to him and said:

Me: "Hi, I'm Heather."
Austin: "Hi, I'm Austin."
Me: "Nice to meet you."
Austin: "You too."
Heather: "So….I can't remember….when is the last time you made me dinner?"
Austin: "Um….never?"
Heather: "Well….I'm available on Tuesday."
Austin: "Ok….do you…want to come over for dinner on Tuesday?"
Heather: "I'd LOVE TO! Thanks for asking!"

Austin's 25th birthday, a few months after we got married

Tuesday (August 2nd), he picked me up (in his sports car) and opened my door and had made a great baked spaghetti dinner. We got to know each other a little better and he told me his conversion story to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He told me about his mission to Antofosgasta, Chile and his family and friends and showed me pictures, etc. We talked easily, but I never dreamed that I was staring at pictures of my future mother-in-law, father-in-law and sister-in-law. After we had talked for a while he said that he had promised some guys that we would go play volleyball with them. We got to the court at my apartment complex and had to be on separate teams. Then it got late and I had to work early the next day so I wanted to head home. I told him so and he waved to me from afar and said, "Okay, have a good night." He didn't walk me to the door or give me an awkward half handshake/half hug or even a high five. I went home and told Bethany, who I was living with at the time, that based on how our date ended, he probably wouldn't ask me out again, which I was fine with.

Our first Christmas together (1 month after we were married) Austin secretly bought me a piano! from a thrift store. It needed some work so Austin got it tuned and then took it apart (he's very handy though had never touched a piano before) and re-keyed the whole thing for me! True love! He did a great job on the project and we still use this piano today. 

The next day (Wednesday) Austin called. He was heading home from playing basketball with some friends and what was I doing? Well, Bethany and I had just made a "dinner" out of some leftovers and it was less than gross, but I somehow found myself inviting him over to eat our "delicious dinner." He must have really liked me because he raved about our meal and stayed for a long time and we just talked and laughed. After he left, I really liked him and Bethany said he seemed to really like me. (It's so fun to live with your sister!)

Austin and me and Bethany and Paul. They started dating right at the end of our engagement. In fact, Paul came to our wedding but wasn't allowed in any of the family wedding pictures because he hadn't proposed yet!

The next day (Thursday) I got sick. It may have had something to do with the nasty meal from the day before, but that cannot be proven. I was throwing up and a real mess. Austin didn't call or come over that day. 

The next day (Friday) was a church party. It was a pool party at somebody's house. I was much better and was excited to see if Austin would be there. Bethany and I got there and I didn't see Austin. I was talking to some people, but still had an eye out for Austin. I finally saw him get there, but I was surrounded by a bunch of guys, I was so worried that he would see that and not come talk to me. But as I watched him, I could tell he was just as eager to see me as I was him. I watched him search the group for someone (me!!) and then when he saw me he just made his way in front of other people until it was just us two talking. He invited me to go on a hike with him and some other people that night. I told him I had been sick and didn't feel up to hiking and Bethany and I were planning to watch a movie with some friends at our place. He quickly canceled his other plans to hang out with me! The movie we ended up watching was "The Sixth Sense" (not gonna lie and say Bethany and I didn't strategically pick a scary movie). That night Austin and I held hands for the first time - thanks scary movie! Then after the movie was over, I walked him to his car and went to give him a goodnight hug and it ended up lasting well over 2 hours. We didn't kiss or anything, just held each other, sometimes in silence, sometimes talking. We both think that's when we fell in love. It was a very special and exciting feeling. When I finally went back in to the apartment, I told Bethany that if he asked me to marry him, I'd say yes! (I had never said that before.)
Our ring ceremony after we were married/sealed in the temple

The next day (Saturday) Austin and I hung out at a service activity and then planned to go to a rodeo that night. Bethany and her date went with us. On the drive home from the rodeo, Austin kissed me for the first time. Hence, when he was asked (for the game for the bridal shower) how he would describe out first kiss in one word - he said: RODEO!


This is what I wrote in an email to my family about that week:

"Who is Austin, you may ask? Well, he's the best thing in my life right now. He's so incredible in so many different ways. We went on our first date last Tuesday (August 2nd). I think it was probably the 2nd time we'd ever talked. I kind of asked him to ask me out. (an old Melanie Moore trick - worked for her and Joel!) I went up to him at ward prayer and asked when he was making me dinner. (this is not an uncommon question that Bethany, Haley or I ask guys. We always get guys to make us dinner, but I specifically said only me when I asked Austin to make me dinner.) Anyway, he jumped right on the idea and we went out that Tuesday. It went well and he came over the next night on Wednesday. We talked and looked at pictures and stuff. He has seen good and bad pictures of everyone. He'll know you all when we go home next Friday (I had never taken a guy home before)…….
Sunday we sat next to each other at Church. We got a lot of "compliments" and "congratulations" on our "new development." Pretty funny. I was with Austin from 5 to late again. He's so great and easy to talk to. Such a good person…..
Anyway, we've been together every day since then. We talk in the morning, afternoon and night. I think I'm in love with him. He's so great. You guys will all love him. Almost everyone will get to meet him this month.... (You may remember that I have 10 siblings so yes, some of them - like Sarah - met him in the reception line AFTER we were married!) Anyway, I love you all. I'm so, so happy.
Talk to you later.
Heather"

My dad said this in his family email:
"Heather, I can’t believe you’re in love! We can’t wait to meet him. Is this for real?! It doesn’t sound like you!…"
When we went home and Austin met my parents for the first time

The rest is history. We were officially engaged on September 8th and married on November 23rd in the Boise Temple on a cold November day (though I couldn't feel it I was so happy!) We almost didn't get married that day because there was an inversion in Boise and incoming flights (including Austin's!) were canceled. Thankfully my wonderful Aunt Claudia and Uncle David and cousin Melanie, were making the trek to come to our wedding and left at 3AM so he could be there on time. What a wild and wonderful day!
Um....no caption necessary...
And it's been that way ever since! 8 years, 4 kids, 6 homes, 4 states, 2 undergrads, 4 years of podiatry school, 5 cars and 150,000+miles later (at least! with all our fun trips!) I still look at him and can't help but kiss him and hug him and smile with delight that he's all mine, for eternity!

Kramer Family 2005

Kramer Family 2007

Kramer Family 2008

Kramer Family 2011

Kramer Family 2012

Kramer Family 2013



8 comments:

  1. Fun read! I cried at all the family pics at the end - it's quite a progression. We should all write our love stories for our anniversaries or Valentine's Day. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww. That was the sweetest thing to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so fun to record those beginnings! Glad you have it now. Such a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! I love to hear about other people's dating stories. What a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute love story! I love your family and miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I I loved reading this! I am so blessed to have spent time with you when you were in Ohio! Love your sweetheart, as I do mine, for our last 43 yrs together....love you

    ReplyDelete