Wednesday, October 9, 2013

What Works for You? - by Heather

When people ask me, "What do you do for exercise?" Well...I guess I don't really get that question a lot. Actually, I've only gotten that question once...and it was today...but that's not the point. The point is, "What do YOU do for exercise?

My husband after swimming 500 miles in a year!


I was really inspired by Whitney and Haley's posts on running and just getting out there and doing something for 30 minutes. What they said reminded me of something I learned a long time ago in a Sunday school class talking about the Word of Wisdom or healthy habits (for those of you who aren't Mormon), specifically talking about exercise. The teacher said, "It doesn't matter what kind of exercise you do. Just figure out what works for you and do that." It's so true, isn't it? Just figure out what works for YOU, what works with your crazy life, your kids, your husband's schedule, your fitness level, your time, your energy....what works for YOUR situation? I've found that with the different stages of life I've been through, my exercise has had to adapt.

Wait...what? How does this picture relate?...It doesn't, but you have to admit it's cute!



A few years ago my husband was working afternoons and evenings, which meant he was home in the morning to watch the kids if I wanted to exercise....outside of the home...by myself. (Yes, Please!) So I decided, "Hey, I'm going to start running...and what the heck, might as well sign up for a half marathon." 

My home situation allowed me to train (sometimes a couple hours at a time) for the half marathon. I really learned to love running. I am not a good runner, I am not a fast runner, I don't look cool running, I don't smell good afterwards and don't even think about trying to run with me because I CANNOT talk (are you kidding me, I don't get people who can do that) not to mention most walkers speed by me! 
But during that time in my life, where all the stars were aligned, I was able to train for and run a half marathon. It worked and I loved it!

Our "Famous Idaho Potato Marathon" crew: (left to right) Melanie ran the marathon, Wesley, Joel, Preston, Cassidy all ran the 5K, Austin, Heather, Haley all ran the half (Austin ran it on a whim...with no training! And he beat me....the nerve!), then Ammon and Dillon ran the 5K

Once my husband started podiatry school he was gone all the time and going on long runs outside by myself weren't a real option anymore. I had to figure out something else that would work for ME (and get me away from the kids....just kidding...sort of). I decided to sign up for the YMCA. It was perfect because they watch your kids while you exercise and they work with your financial situation if needed. I tried the fitness room with all the thousands of machines and it wasn't really for me so then I tried the classes. After a few of those, I was totally hooked! I found some instructors I connected with (thanks Jamie and Cass!!) and they taught me the arts of Zumba, Step, Kick Boxing, cardio blasting and all sorts of other cool stuff. I was rockin' the horse (if you're into step you get it), "shaking what my mama gave me," and even Billy Blank was impressed with my kick boxing skills. I was having a blast and feeling great! Even when I got pregnant, I just switched to the water classes (I was the youngest in there by 30 years!) and continued going at least 4 times a week...made for the easiest delivery ever! It totally worked for me, my schedule, my life. It was perfect for me then.

During my YMCA years

Now that Austin started his residency, we moved to a wonderful place in Ohio, but it is out in the country...far from our beloved YMCAs. Again, my exercise routine had to change. I had some fun with exercise DVDs from the local library for a while (who doesn't get a kick out of those 80's outfits?!), but eventually found a great website RealFit.tv with Dana Lee (all her stuff is on YouTube too) that offers a lot of different types of workouts that I could easily do at home. I bought a $25 step from WalMart, use some old 3 or 8 pounds weights I have and now I have a fun time in the garage stepping, kicking, jumping, etc. I am not only doing the YouTube classes though (it can get a little old by yourself in the garage), depending on my husbands schedule, I'll go for a run on our country roads if I get the chance.  It's a nice mix up. Right now that's what works for me.


But you don't have to do what I did/do, the point is, that we all have different lives, different interests, different likes/dislikes, different schedules (you know where I'm going with this), so if you don't have something that works. Find it. And stick with it so when somebody asks, "What do you do for exercise?"you've got an answer...because that question will probably only come once in your life and it's pretty exciting when it does ;)




6 comments:

  1. You look skinny, your kids are cute, but that picture of Austin is gross! I'm still trying to figure out what works for me. I hope I find it soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Agreed Bethany! When I clicked on this post I thought "of course Heather would find some way to make me look at her half naked husband...stop it :). See this is why you should have moved to Indy! You could have been my neighbor and gone with me to the y everyday. Righ now I am loving spin...well not my but. Seriously I need padded shorts, but I am loving the runners high I get after! Seriously feels so good! Also I got a kick out of your computer on the ladder :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Work it Heather. Great post! I like how you chronicled your life to show that you can do different things at different points in your life. And that picture of Jensen at the end is totally cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. And when you're ready and near the Y again, I'll send you lots of stuff so yoy can be the instructor! I can't even tell you how much I miss you being in Dea Moines:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome ideas, Heather. You look great!

    ReplyDelete