Thursday, October 3, 2013

Sweet Shredded Pork (by Heather)

Look, I know there are a lot of recipes out there for sweet shredded pork, and I'm not saying they're not good, because how can you really mess up slow cooking a pork roast in the crock pot? But this is my favorite recipe because it is DELICIOUS and EASY.

I stock up on the pork roast when they are BOGO (buy one get one free). That way when I'm eating my delicious pork, I can really enjoy it because I got a good deal on it!

 

I love crock pots. Seriously, they make everything delicious. Not to mention making life so much easier. 

So this recipe calls for:
-Dr. Pepper - about 2 liters (or whatever you got)
-Brown sugar - 1 cup
-Pork roast
-18 oz. of your favorite BBQ sauce


 
Put everything except the BBQ sauce in a crock pot on low and cook it for 15-18 hours.

I cook the meat with the fat on the top - makes it tastier and more juicy that way.
 
I usually make this for a Sunday meal. I will stick it in the crock pot before I got to bed, then we'll have it the next day around 3pm. 

When the weather is hot, I put the crock pot in the garage to cook. When the weather is cooler, the crock pot warms the kitchen.


When it's time to serve it, dump out all the liquid (I usually "scoop' off the fat that's on top too because it's so moist, it's easy to do) and start shredding.


Then add your favorite kind of BBQ sauce. How much you add is up to you (be careful not to add too much!!!) but you probably want to have a full 18 oz. bottle on hand just in case. 


So that's it! Deliciousness made simple!

 
 


3 comments:

  1. Looks good! Have you ever tried it with root beer? I usually have diet root beer on hand, but never Dr. Pepper or colas, so I wondered if that would work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I've never tried it with rootbeer. As you see in the post, I'm not strict about the Dr. Pepper - I just use whatever we might have. If you do try it, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete