Thursday, February 27, 2014

Our Story- The Proposal (by Haley)

On December 18 I wrote, “He finally brought up marriage tonight. He was so scared to. I felt the spirit tell me that it was right to talk about...He is so amazing. We're going to pray about it to see. I am a little nervous because if the answer is no I'll be devastated and so sad.” “I am so in love with him. I can barely look at him without melting. I'm pathetic.” He also asked me to go to Aubry's sealing a few days later. I was scared to death! I thought that if I went my feelings would definitely grow stronger for Greg and it would become so difficult not to get married. I hesitated at first telling Greg I was unsure. Then he told me how his family really wanted me there and most of all he wanted me there. So I said yes.

On December 21 I went to Aubry and Jesse's wedding dinner with Greg. I really enjoyed being with his family. This was the first time I had met Eric and Rachel since they had been teaching English in China. Everyone was really nice and the program was great. Then we went over to the chapel where Aubry and Jesse's reception was going to be the next day. It was all beautifully set up. Greg played the organ for me and told me he loved me.

The next day we went to Aubry's sealing. Being in that sealing room with Greg and holding his hand all through it made the feelings of love so strong. I could barely stand it. If we didn't get married this would be so hard for me. As I hugged his sister Aubry in the sealing room she was crying and said, “Thank you so much for coming.” I really felt like she did want me there. Afterwards Greg and I went over the to Joseph Smith Memorial Building to listen to choirs sing Christmas songs. It was so fun to cuddle up close and listen to beautiful music. I was so happy. That night we both helped out with the reception a ton. Many people kept asking us when we were getting married or would say, “You guys are next!” I didn't mind. My favorite part of the evening was the dancing. I knew Greg hated to dance. Tonight though, Greg was going to have fun since it was his sister's wedding. He got all his siblings and cousins dancing. Everyone was dancing. I felt lucky to be his girl. Every slow song we would dance together. He asked the dj to play 'Just the Way You Are' by Billy Joel. He dedicated it to me. I melted. I knew everyone was looking at us and everyone could see that I was smitten. I couldn't hide it. I was so in love.

The following morning I woke up bright and early to drive to Idaho for Christmas. I missed Greg so much. It was wonderful to talk to him on a phone but it was obvious we were both miserable without each other. Finally on December 26 Greg flew in to Boise. His flight was late and I was really worried about him. Everything worked out though. I even gave him an Idaho Spud bar. He liked it. I took him over to Joel and Melanie's to sleep. The next few days were great. He got to meet my family. We went to a hot springs, we went on a hike, we went sledding, ate great food, the guys played football and Risk, and we even went out to dinner with mom and dad. All of my siblings were giving me a hard time. “So, when are you guys getting married?” I tried to not get too excited since we hadn't talked about marriage being a for sure thing yet. When my family would bring it up, I tried to change the subject.

On December 29 we got up early and drove back to Provo. Usually the drive from Horseshoe Bend back to Provo seems so long. This time, I could have been in that car with Greg forever. Greg brought up marriage. We discussed everything: where, when, future goals, etc. I told him that when I prayed to know if I should marry him I felt the same way I did when I asked Heavenly Father if The Book of Mormon was true. Why are you asking me? You already have the answer. You already know. Planning everything was so exciting. We stopped in Sandy to meet up with Bethany and Paul for lunch. They gave Greg a really hard time. Little did they know that we were already discussing dates. So in love.

The next day we finalized that our wedding day would be April 2 so that we could go on our honeymoon over my Spring Break. I started looking at rings online and then we went to some jewelry stores. It was tough for me. I didn't want to be high maintenance or ask for too much. In my journal I wrote: “Greg told me that you can find out a lot about a person going ring shopping with them. He said that I wasn't afraid to speak my mind if I didn't like it. He said that it was funny I didn't like the ring I liked online once I tried it on. I liked the rings with small diamonds.” That night we met up with Ashley and Ben at Brickoven. We had a feast. Then Greg drove me up to the temple. He asked me to marry him even though he didn't have the ring yet. He said he was practicing. I said yes. Then there were fireworks figuratively and literally since it was New Year's. We had a wonderful evening together.

On January 1 we went on a double date with our friends Matt and Lori. We ate dinner and then played mini golf at Trafalga. We were in our own little world. We hardly even talked to them. The next day we went to the temple together. I wrote, “I just read through a page I wrote on my mission of qualities ofmy future husband. It's amazing how Greg has every single one... The best part was sitting in the Celestial room with Greg. It felt right and I felt at peace.”

January 3: “Today is our 2 month anniversary. Greg came over around ten. We chilled and I helped him with his clerk stuff. Then he invited me to go to the church with him to finish up some other stuff but instead we took a detour...to the temple. He was surprised to see the gate open, so we went in the parking lot and parked the car. It wasn't that cold outside (for once)---- actually sunny. We decided to get out and walk around. We started walking and Greg said a ton of nice things to me---including the fact that I was the only one he wanted to marry. Then I said some nice things back. He got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. With no hesitation I said yes. Then we kissed. He put the ring on my finger. We were so happy. When we got in the car I asked him when he asked my dad's permission. He said he didn't because he wanted it to all be surprising to me. I told him I couldn't wear the ring to church and my own parents not know. So I left the ring in the car and he called dad in between sacrament meeting and Sunday School---funny. I put the ring on after church and called everyone. No one was surprised except for Justin. I guess he hasn't been too involved in it all. After church we went to his parent's house for dinner. He hadn't told them yet. I tried to hide my ring, but his dad saw it and said, “Haley, that's some nice bling!” Ha, ha. His mom hugged me. Dinner was happy and then we played games. We announced it at Ward Prayer---fun! Then we read our Patriarchal Blessings to each other. I read my list of qualities I wanted in a husband—he overqualified. It was a love filled day. So happy!”

1 comment:

  1. Very fun story! Alice saw the picture of you guys as I was reading this. She said, "She looks better than him." Ha! Well, you're pretty, and he's a guy, so...

    ReplyDelete