Thursday, February 20, 2014

Our Story- Dating (by Haley)

November was an amazing month for us. For me, after experiencing so many break ups, I was very cautious and careful when we first started dating. I didn't want to fall in love with a guy who would break my heart. Every day he confirmed his interest and concern for me. He would stop by late at night just to see me or come volunteer in my classroom. Greg worked from the afternoon until late at night. I worked early in the morning until the late afternoon. It was difficult to see each other, but I knew Greg cared for me the way I cared for him. We experienced many late nights watching movies, or going on drives, or getting ice cream. Saturdays were sacred because we could share the whole morning together. Many times we went hiking and then did lunch together. Sundays we would drive to church together and hold hands. I loved holding his hand. Everyone in the ward kept telling us, “You guys are so cute.” “I totally saw it coming.” etc. I remember one particularly cold winter Sunday night Greg and I decided to go on a walk to the temple. I remember that it was chilly, but Greg kept me warm. I felt so safe and happy. I really enjoyed being with him. We always had such wonderful conversations.

One day I expressed to Greg how I heard that Billy Joel was coming to Salt Lake to perform. I reminded him that he was one of my favorite artists. I told Greg it was a goal of mine to attend one of his concerts. A couple days later Greg said that he wanted to buy a ticket for me to go but on one condition, he got to go too. I was so excited! I got to go to Billy Joel's concert and cuddle with my boyfriend all through it. He bought the tickets and I was so in love.

The next day Greg informed me that he wouldn't be able to go to the concert after all. He couldn't get work off. He told me that I should still go, just with someone else. I was so depressed. It wouldn't be as fun without Greg. Plus I felt like he was trying to distance himself from me. Little did I know that hisjob really was so demanding and he really couldn't get it off. As it turned out Billy got swine flu and had to postpone his concert anyway. A few months later we did get to go together. He was determined that I achieve that goal.

As the month went on we spent every moment we could together. We would eat breakfast together. I would visit Greg at work or he would volunteer in my class. We even went grocery shopping together. My friends at work wanted to meet Greg, so I took them to Brickoven. Of course Lisa and Marissa were both married and wanted me to be married too, so they said a lot of embarrassing stuff about how Greg and I needed to get engaged. All I remember is being so embarrassed and that after all of that Greg paid for everyone's food. That was why everyone loved him so much. He was just like that.

November 20 will always be a special day for me. After I got off work, Greg picked me up and then took me out to Lotus Garden (which was one of my favorite restaurants). After a wonderful meal we went to his orchestra concert. I sat by myself in the audience. I wrote in my journal, “He walked out on stage and I couldn't even look at him. I was smitten. He is so amazing.” After it finished I met his mom, his sister Aubry and her fiancee Jesse. I thought they were really nice. We all went out to Krispy Kreme together, which I later found out was a tradition of theirs. After we left, Greg and I watched 'Return to Me' on his latop in his truck. I remember that I wasn't even watching the movie because I was so in love and happy to be with him. Our time together was so precious because he was so busy. Finally he turned it off because it was getting late. I wrote in my journal: “Afterwards he said it might be kinda late to have a serious talk, but then he went on to say how he never got sick of me and loved spending time with me. How he liked me more each day and how he couldn't think of a reason not to like me. Then when I was about to say all the amazing things about him, he told me he loved me. I had to say it back because I love him too.” I don't think I slept much that night because I couldn't stop thinking about him.

The next day we went on a hike and made lunch together. Then on Sunday Greg invited me to West Jordan for dinner with his family. His parents, grandparents, sisters (Aubry and Malerie), and Jesse were all there. I was really impressed with his family. They were really nice and interested in me. I automatically felt like I knew them before or something. Later that night Greg and I went for a drive. Greg told me that he wasn't caught up in the moment or was just saying he loved me, he meant it. He said that he had thought through it all beforehand. That just made me love him even more.

Then it was Thanksgiving. I was going to Texas to visit Justin and Kelsey. Greg took me to the Salt Lake airport. We stopped by the Church History Museum beforehand. I was only interested in one thing while we were there and it wasn't church history. Greg called me every day during Thanksgiving break. When I flew back to Provo, Greg picked me up. It was a very happy reunion.

Once I got back from Texas things started to get a lot more serious. Greg would always compliment me and make me feel so special. Many times he would tell me strengths I had that were specifically found in my patriarchal blessing. Every snowy winter morning Greg would get up early, heat up my car for me and scrape my windows in time for me to go to work. He was so thoughtful and knew the way to my heart.

On December 3 we reached our month mark. Greg bought me eight roses and I bought him a journal since he had lost his and wanted a new one so badly. We looked at the Christmas lights on Center Street and read a Christmas story with all of my roommates (a fun little tradition).

In December we went to Christmas Around the World, attended his final concert of the semester, went to a Comedy show of HumorU and Divine Comedy, went to Temple Square, went to Denny's for hot chocolate, and did all the typical Christmas festivities.

On December 17 my parents were in town for some of my cousins' weddings. Greg finally got to meet them. I wrote in my journal, “They really like him. He really likes them...It was fun to introduce Greg to people. Everyone liked him...Wow. I'm really in love with him.”

TO BE CONTINUED... FIND OUT OUR PROPOSAL STORY NEXT THURSDAY!!

3 comments:

  1. That Billy Joel story makes me sad (even though it had a happy ending). Why are Greg's jobs always so demanding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet story! We are so glad you guys found each other and that you love each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! We sure wish you guys lived closer!

    ReplyDelete