Sunday, September 1, 2013

My Sisters (by Sarah)


Welcome to the Flake Sisters’ Blog!  You will get to know all of us much better by reading everyone’s posts, but here’s a little heads up on what you’re getting…



Cassidy:  Age- 18

                 Kids- 0

                  Husband- still available!!

                  Location- Idaho

Cassidy is the baby.  To give you some perspective on the matter, I was a senior in high school when Cass was born.  Does that make me old?  One time, at a grocery store, someone asked me if she was my daughter!  Ouch!  Although it doesn’t define her, you should know that Cassidy is deaf.  She turned out to be a genius (you should see the list of scholarships she got this year!)  She is also very aggressive at sports, a talented composer, an award-winning public speaker, and not afraid to ask boys out in the least.  She’s headed to BYUI this fall.


Ashley:  Age- 25

                Kids- 2 (with 1 on the way)

                Husband- Ben the Engineer

                Location- Utah

Think:  married at 20, 3 kids in 3 years.  That describes Ashley.  She is a true non-complainer, living for the past few years in the dingy and depressing basement apartment of the home she and Ben own.  All the while, a perfectly nice upstairs was occupied by renters.  I wouldn’t have had it, I tell you!  Ashley has a lot of our Dad in her—she loves reading church books and finds history fascinating.  She also has one of the wildest kids you’ll ever meet—true story!




Whitney:  Age- 27

                    Kids- 0

                    Husband- Adam the Student

                    Location- Ecuador (jealous?)

Whitney stands out as the most different sister.  She’s an artistic soul, a dreamer.  She’s wild and passionate and insanely messy.  She’s the family handyman, always called on to fix everything from computers to garbage disposals.  She loves all things Latin, especially her husband (half Mexican) and the kids she’s teaching English to in Ecuador.





Haley:   Age- 29

                Kids- 1

                Husband- Greg the Music Masters Student

                Location- Nevada

With three older sisters and three youngers sisters AND two older brothers and two younger brothers, Haley couldn’t be more of a middle child.  She was a school teacher for a few years before her daughter came along and she was amazing!  Haley is a devoted wife and mother, a runner, and the skinniest sister without having to try. (grrrrr)




Bethany:  Age- 31

                   Kids- 3

                   Husband- Paul the Science Writer (what does that mean?)

                   Location- Maryland

Bethany and Paul like to identify themselves as the “smartest” in the family, but I prefer “nerdiest”.  They love documentaries and word games more than can possibly be normal.  They taught their daughter to read (for real) when she was 3.  Also, I’m not going to say they’re prudes, but be sure NOT to invite them over if you’re planning on watching a PG-13 movie!  Beth is the designated family alto, loves having guests, is a regular at the library, and can write the most complete packing list you’ve ever seen.


Heather:  Age- 32

                   Kids- 4

                   Husband- Austin the Podiatry Resident

                   Location- Ohio

Heather is the designated family pianist.  Our mother is a very accomplished singer, and as such, we have performed a lot of family musical numbers (think Von Trapp family).  Heather is also the "meanest" mom in the family.  Oh, she dotes on her children, do not get me wrong.  But DO NOT TRY TO TAKE A TOY OUT OF THE TOY ROOM!!!  Also, Heather is completely unresponsive by phone or text.  Here’s a helpful hint if you need to get a hold of Heather:  threaten to call the Bishop and have him stop by to check on her since you haven’t been able to get in touch in a long time.  Works like a charm, People!  Also, Heather sincerely believes her husband is the best husband ever.  Like ever.




Sarah:  Age- 35

             Kids- 5 (and a bun in the oven)

             Husband- Matt the dentist

             Location- Wild, Wonderful West Virginia

Last but not least!  I am the oldest and no one EVER lets me forget it!  I am the designated family photographer, the token homeschooler and the biggest communicator (read: I have a headset attached to my ear all day long).  I am pretty anti-social, obsessively jealous, and less accomplished at a lot of the things my sisters are good at.  I think we all are.

I hope you will enjoy getting to know all of my sisters a little better!  I think they’re pretty great!

                  



8 comments:

  1. Some of these comments are a little mean but the girls and their families are all beautiful! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great opener...and great descriptions. Meanest mom? So true...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't identify ourselves as the smartest, Sarah. Everyone else does. Burn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I DO actually try to be skinny FYI!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather is my favorite...it might just be mean mom solidarity, but I think she is the sweetest :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this blog idea! And I love Sarah's descriptions of everybody. I hope you don't mind if I stalk your blog every once in a while. I love you guys, so I'm sure I'll love all your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun to read, Sarah! Dingy might be a little brutal for that cute basement!

    ReplyDelete