Thursday, September 12, 2013

Turkey Tacos (by Ashley)

Ahh....dinnertime. On a good day and with the right amount of time, I love making dinner. Something about the repetitive motion of chopping or seasoning just soothes me. If the kitchen's clean and I've got enough counter space, I work quickly and easily. I am immersed in my work, content in my own thoughts. Add to that a little Josh GrobanNorah Jones, or Dixie Chicks and I am in a very happy place.

Last night was not one of those nights. My two girls have been sick all week and very ornery. I was exhausted. Luckily, my knight in shining armor showed up just in time. He had an errand to run and the girls were very happy to accompany him on a walk through the neighborhood. They came back with suckers so my guess is they had a good time.

Not that I really needed that much time, this dinner is pretty quick to throw together. But quiet is something that comes at a premium around here, so I drank it in, even if the house around me was in shambles.

Turkey Tacos

You will need
Ground turkey, taco seasoning, red, yellow & orange peppers, black beans, romaine lettuce


I love these colors. So bright and happy. I love seeing them in my food. I'm always reminded what a bright and vibrant world God has blessed us with.


Black beans, tri colored peppers, these are a few of my favorite things...




Turkey Tacos

Ingredients:
Ground turkey
Taco seasoning
Canned black beans (or kidney beans)
Red, yellow, and orange pepper

You can also add:
Canned diced green chilies
Frozen or canned corn
Chopped zucchini or squash

Directions:
1. Brown and season the turkey with taco seasoning. Salt and pepper if needed.
2. Dice peppers and saute them with the turkey (I love the taste of peppers, so I dice them pretty big and don't saute them very long).
3. Rinse and drain beans and add to the mix. Remove from heat.

4. Rinse lettuce and pat dry. Break apart for tacos.

5. Load up tacos and add cheese, sour cream, and salsa. Or even eat them plain. We love traditional salsa or a sweet corn salsa. You could also skip the sour cream and add ranch or cilantro ranch. If you like a little crunch, add some tortilla strips.

All loaded up. This is actually my favorite way to eat them, just plain.










The day is at its close. We are fed and happy.

7 comments: