Thursday, September 19, 2013

Chapter 18: Full of Celebrations (Getting My Mission Call!) - by Cassidy


As you all know, I finally graduated from high school with a good amount of scholarships in my pocket. But that doesn't mean I don't have to work.

This summer, I went to Lawrence, Kansas and worked as a nanny for Justin and Kelsey. It was a really good and cool experience for me. I was glad that I went. I had a lot of favorites while I was there such as trying out soul food, the beautiful nightlight view of Kansas City, the Jazz club, hanging out with Justin, Kelsey, and their kids (plus Wombat and Fresh Fries). But my most favorites were going on a bike ride with Justin's family and going on a nice walk around downtown together. It was really nice and beautiful, such an unique place. Thank you so much Justin and Kelsey, I really appreciated everything you've done for me. I had a great time. Thank you. 


This Fall, I'm going to college to start a new life on my ooooowwwwn. Wow, this is crazy. I got a dorm, I got three roommates, I got a laptop, and I got Fall/Winter track this semesters. Yep, I think I'm ready to go. I am excited and nervous at the same time.



Surprise, surprise! I got my mission call!! 

"Dear Sister Flake: You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the California San Fernando Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.... you will prepare to preach the gospel in American Sign Language."  (I leave on Wednesday, January 1st, 2014) I'm SO excited!!!

It all happened ever since President Monson announced during General Conference the enormous change of missionary aging. Boys age 19 to 18 and girls age 21 to 19. I still remembered how shocked Dad and I were when we heard this amazing news and that has turned my future life plans from simple to a vague. After the announcement, I was so unsure if I wanted to go. I didn't feel ready by that time. I didn't even have the desire to go because I was terrified. After a few months later, seeing my future life was getting more vaguer than before and I really needed to talk to someone. So, I talked to Whitney and she said that going on a mission can help me a lot but I told her that I was too scared to go. 

The next General Conference after 6 months later, something hit me. I wasn't sure what it was but Elder Nelson, the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, said something about catching the wave. He talked about people going on missions catching the wave to spread the truth of the living gospel. "This wave of truth and righteousness is wondrous! It is not man-made! It comes from the Lord.... He wants His children to gain immortality and eternal life!" For some reason, I felt good after that and I decided to start working on my mission paper little by little and slowly to see how I felt so far. I felt good. Without having so much pressure I've decided to keep it a secret. In this family, only Whitney (plus Adam) and Dad knew about my mission call. I told President Greiner to keep it a secret as well. 


While I was in Kansas, that was when I actually felt the desire to go on a mission. Since you are my family, I want to share you all my experience. Kelsey was teaching her kids during FHE about Joseph Smith when he prayed to ask God which churches to go to and how Heavenly Father and Jesus appeared to him. In the end, for the longest time I actually felt the spirit and really know now that the church is true. Deep inside, things were clear to me and I don't know how to explain it. It's like I can see things better now and knowing how proud I am to be the member of the LDS church. Through my life, I didn't really see the whole picture of what it is like to have the gospel in our lives and now I can see the whole picture. The picture was so clear. I started to cry. I cried because I was so grateful for the spirit that I felt, I haven't felt the spirit in such a long time and I am so grateful for that. I really am. I was happy that I was there when Kelsey taught her kids that lesson because I wasn't scared anymore. I wasn't scared to go on a mission. I was ready. Justin and Kelsey did not know anything about my mission call. 


The other reasons I wanted to keep it a secret is because of mom. I wanted this to be special because of the hard work she'd done for me. She deserved it. She worked so hard to never give up on me. Taking care of a deaf child? That is indeed really hard. I still remembered how frustrated mom and I were while we were working on my Personal Progress. I had a really hard time understanding the church we follow. I was really angry because I was lost, I didn't get it and couldn't understand some things but mom tried her very best to help me understand about the gospel better. She tried so hard and look how far her deaf child has gone. The deaf child who was sitting in the Primary room did not understand a single thing and now is going on a mission. How incredible was that mom? 


Now, with my mission call plan(s). Dad and I were hoping it would come before I leave for school, but it didn't. Plan B, hopefully it'll come the same day as we leave for Rexburg. Still didn't come. Finally, the first day of classes, I got a text from Dad saying that my mission call came. Who knew it would come on Monday? He also said that Joel found out by accident when Brother Larson asked him about my calling last Saturday. Sigh.... oh well. Plan C, find a ride and get there. I wanted to open it tonight but I didn't know how to get there. During lunch, I was invited over to Anthony's house and told him about it. He was SO nice to give me a ride there and back and it was really nice to get to know him. He was really excited and willing to come. He's such a great cousin! 

2 1/2 hours later, we got to the Day Inns in Twin Falls and saw mom sitting in her car. She was so confused and asked us why we were here. "Just wanted to see you Mom." was pretty much all I said. Then Joel's family came over, Dad, Anthony, and I gathered together. Mom kept saying, "What is going on?" Suddenly, I gave mom my mission call letter and said, "Hey guess what mom....I've decided to go on a mission." Aw man, you guys should have seen Mom's face. At first, she was confused because Dad knew about it and didn't tell her and I kept a secret from her but then she started to bawled instead. We both hugged. She was so shocked and had no idea that I had it coming.


We went into the hotel and called you guys and Skype Whitney and Sarah. Then Dad called Dillon and finally I told you all that I got my mission call. My most favorite part was when I surprised you ALL!!!! Hahaha!!! It was so awesome! It was so great to talk to Dillon for a little. He was shocked as well. He bawled/cried and kept saying how proud he was and very happy for me too. 


 Looking back my senior year of hard work, graduating from high school, going to college, getting my mission call.... I'd call this a full of celebrations.

3 comments:

  1. This is seriously the COOLEST story ever! So grateful to be your sister. I am so happy you decided to go on a mission. Your mission call couldn't be any more perfect than it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An awesome moment in time never to be forgotten!!!
    Love,
    Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this Cassidy. It made me cry. I'm so happy for you! I know you'll be an awesome missionary. (You already are!) Maybe you can keep me on your list of people to forward your letters to. (Bevanangie@gmail.com). I'd love to hear about your mission!

    ReplyDelete