Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Most Important Time of the Day (by Heather)


I've been thinking a lot lately about something that is a part of our hectic morning routine around here. Like many homes, once our kids are up, it's lots of "gently reminding" them to get things done so they can be out the door (looking presentable - if possible!) on time. Every minute from the time they wake up, to the time they're out the door, is valuable as there is a lot to do before they have to leave. If I'm not careful, I could spend the whole morning "gently reminding" them to do things, and by the time they're out the door, I won't have had a quiet moment with them. I recognized this (and hated it!) when my oldest started kindergarten last year. It was all RUSH in the morning, even the morning family prayer was said in the van. It didn't seem right to start the day out like that. So we changed things and made room for something in our hectic, crazy, morning schedule.



We are Mormon (members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). We believe in The Bible and The Book of Mormon. As a family, we read from the Book of Mormon every night, but really, it's pretty wild….um, yes…a VERY wild experience actually….every….night. 


It's hard to concentrate when the 1 year old and 3 year old are being so distracting with their cute laughter and playful manner and the 5 year old and 6 year old are taking 10 minutes to read one verse because they have to sound out LOTS of the words. And the words and what is happening in the scriptures, are kind of hard for the kids to grasp. Honestly, I don't think they're learning a whole lot from our evening family scripture study….at least not at this point in their young lives.  

BUT in the MORNING, the craziest time of our days, that's when we are having some of the most spiritual learning happen in our home. When would there be a time for this? Well, we could do what my dad did when I was a kid and just play General Conference videos or church videos all throughout the house as people are getting ready for church (really good idea, dad, I'm going to incorporate that one day). We do it during breakfast, when the kids' mouths are full….and quiet! 



They are listening and awake and interested and I love that we have this time with them. It's special and precious and powerful. Our Church puts out a lot of wonderful material to help kids understand the scriptures such as The Bible and The Book of Mormon and what God's plan is for us. Frankly, adults can learn a lot from the material also - I know I do. We read each morning from the cartoon stories of one of these books and then we read a story from "The Friend" magazine which is usually something that the kids can totally relate to at school or in their young lives, and it instills in them even more how the gospel is in every part of our every day lives.




Friday morning we were reading a story from the "New Testament Stories" - that's the one we're in right now. After the short story was over, I asked my 5 year old what had happened in the story and was so impressed that he repeated, in some parts word for word, what I had read and then he told me what he had learned from it. I really feel like my kids learn a lot. They grasp so much more of what is written in the scriptures - the stories, the parables, the history, the principles of the gospel -  as we use this little, cartoon book. It's short, simple and has pictures - that's what we all want in life, isn't it? I love it and whoever thought of the idea. I am positive it has really helped shape and mold my children's young testimonies and their every day actions. They know the stories of Jesus and in many cases, teach them to their friends. I love these books!





After we read a short chapter from the scripture stories, then we read from "The Friend." On Friday, it was a short story that talked about how one young girl shared the gospel with her friend at school and the girl and her mom were baptized. It had lots of pictures of the girl and her friend and the baptism. So wonderful! It inspired me and my kids to share the gospel…that day. Not an hour had passed from when my kids and I felt the spirit of missionary work from reading that story and felt inspired to share the great gift of the gospel, before they were out the door and acting on those feelings. Telling others what they read that morning. Inviting them to church activities. Starting the day off with a positive note, and better understanding of life, a real perspective of who they are and that God loves them - I am convinced my kids could not start the day off better than this.

It's a crazy, hectic morning around here. But when we sit down at the breakfast table, in that 15 minutes of peace and quiet, my kids learn the most important things they'll learn that day. I guess it's true what they say - breakfast IS the most important meal of the day!


1 comment: