Monday, January 6, 2014

Resolutions (by Ashley)


Last year I wanted to lose weight, save pennies, and teach my children. I guess you could say I didn't accomplish those goals. But I don't think there's any reason to wallow in despair because you weren't able to accomplish what you set out to accomplish. On the contrary, I had a babyfrugally bought clothes for said baby, and made great strides being a part of my children's world. Those are definitely great accomplishments, and all headed in the right direction. I am happy I am growing, in any way it manifests itself.

Just because I didn't accomplish what I set out to accomplish doesn't mean there is no purpose in making resolutions. Any effort me make to change is recognized by God. We can become instruments in His hands simply by showing we are willing.

When it comes to progress, I like to mix things up. Sometimes changing the process is enough to motivate you. This year Ben will be heading up the penny-saving department. For my weight loss I'm not taking "no" for an answer, so that's not going to be showing up on any list, it's just something I am going to make happen. And this year to teach my children I want to focus on scripture stories, so that when a teaching moment arises I can pull something from memory and not let those times slip away.

Habits to start for 2014

1. Teach my children the scripture stories. Told from their own mother's mouth and memories.
2. End each day journaling about an experience that particularly touched me or taught me something.
3. Attend the temple weekly

This last goal I am quite nervous about-- it's something I've been feeling prompted I should do for some time, yet I've always shrugged it off as too much for our young family. But I believe in a God of miracles, and I believe that when we do what He asks us to do he provides a way.

2 comments:

  1. Good goals, Ash. I've already messed up on some of mine, but I'm gonna keep trying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true and inspiring Ash. I liked that your title "Habits to start for 2014" - less intimidating!

    ReplyDelete